Shive Sarvarthaka Sadhike|
Sharanye Thriyambake Devi/Laksmi|
The above shloka is in praise of goddess Lakshmi and offering salutations.
varamahalakshmi vratha is celebrated on the Friday Just before the Full moon day of Shraavana Maasa usually August - September.
The greatness of the Vara Maha Lakshmi Vrata can also be found in Purana's as well. This Vrata is very popular in South India, Maharastra and Orissa.
some families won't follow this Vratha as their elders have not followed the Vrata.
How this Vrata is worshipped ?
Early in the moring,women will do Head Bath with Herbal(Kunkudu Kai, Shikakai) Powders, Women will start decorating their house front yards with beautiful Rangoli's. Next, they Decorate Pooja Mantapa with Banana Stem on both sides and Draw the 8 petal Padma/ Lotus rangoli and pour some rice on the rangoli inorder to place the Kalasha.
Preparing Kalasha for Pooja
1. Depending on financial capacity we can use steel, Silver,copper or Gold pot. Clean the Pot thoroughly, Into the pot place 5 measures of Rice or Water, 5 Fruits (dry fruits) , turmeric root,kumkum, betel leaf,nut powder, bangles. Try to accomodate all these depending on the size of the Kalasa Patra
2. Take a Coconut(not peeled) , Apply Turmeric Paste all over it and apply Kumkum too. the same should be repeated to the kalasha patra too with turmeric powder or chandan powder.
3. Keep the Gouri Mukha Idol to the Coconut, Tie a mangalya / black beads necklace with a pendant, which married women wear, to the kalasha Coconut and Decorate the coconut as your wish.
4. Now, Place the Mango leafs or Beatle Leafs around the top side of the Kalasha Patra and Place the Decorated Coconut in it.
Preparing Varama Lakshmi Thora
We have to prepare Thora Differently for Married Ladies.
3. Thora for Married Women will be prepared with a Thread consists of 16 knots to it along with flowers, thread of wool, thread of pure silk
Getting Ready for the Pooja
1. Take the Kalasha patra Just out side of the house and Lit a Deepa infront of it and offer Harathi to the Kalasha and Bring it back to the Pooja Matapa, This Symbolizes that You are Bringing Godess Lakshmi into your House.
2. Now, Place the Complete Kalasha patra in the Pooja Mantapa along with the Thoras what we have prepared earlier. Now, Decorate the Pooja Mantapa as your wish with Few Black bangles,Jewelry, Flowers, Fruits. Now the kalasham symbolically represents Goddess Lakshmi which came all the way to your Home to take your Pooja.
3. Lakshmi Pooja Begins with Vignaadhipathi,Ganesha Pooja (Avahana, Dwadasa Stotram, Astottaram, Harathi).
4. After Ganesha Pooja, Now, we have to start the Lakshmi Pooja with Lakshmi Avahana, Lakshmi Astottaram, Sahasra Naama, Songs
5. Now, Offer Goddess with Dhoopam, Prepare 16 Kaddi Batti Harathi and as many Deepam you can, which brings that much of prosperity into your life
6. We have to prepare Naivedyam with 9 or 11 items ( Payasa, Chittranna,Holige, Kaduvu, Sugil Undi,kosambari, palya, tovve and more ) and offer the items to Godess
After Completing pooja, Take the Thoras and wear Thora to your right Wrist.
1. after completing the Pooja, do Baagana Daana to another Married Women (Not to your Sister in laws or any another women in your home)
Call the Married women from your Neighbourhood and distribute Thambula.
Kalasha should be removed the Next Day with Punah Pooja. Sprinkle the Holy Water which is in kalasha in your Entire Home, which makes your home Holier.